Isn’t it funny how folks have always centered on the Proverbs 31 woman? In fact for as long as I’ve been a Christian and attended Bible study, whenever this scripture is read, it’s always accompanied by numerous accolades and how women should emulate her virtuous ways….
Now I’m not about to cast aspersions on this worthy role model. Indeed, I have gleaned many examples and tips from her lifestyle and I am the better for it… just ask my husband :D….
But in all of our hurry to applaud the woman, have we ever stopped to consider the man she had by her side? Have we ever given a thought to the rock that supported her in achieving all these noble feats?
Yes, have we ever acknowledged the Proverbs 31 man?
I’ve been thinking about the Proverbs 31 man lately. In fact since last year before I got married, he’s been on my mind and my fingers and busy brain have been itching to write an article in his honor…. Then I got married 🙂 … to a Proverbs 31 man. Yup, I guess you could conclude that he’s the inspiration behind this post….
So just what is special about the Proverbs 31 man? Guys, listen up! Be that man…. Ladies pay attention! Be with that man…
- He encourages his woman. Yup, he encourages her to be all those wonderful things we see in the Proverbs 31 woman. Me thinks that if he had not given her room to cultivate her dreams, she would never had featured in the Good book
- He trusts her. There is something about trust that spurs a person to greater heights. Knowing that I have my husband’s trust, makes me want to even do more to keep his trust. The Proverbs 31 man trusted his lady. This I believe was one of the reasons for her success.
- He does not micromanage her affairs. He is not constantly looking over her shoulders and meddling… sorry… “helping her out” at every single turn.
- He treats her as an equal. He admits that she has a brain and is capable of being her own person…not standing in his shadow or sitting around twiddling her thumbs and waiting for him to think for her.
- He is a leader (NOT a commandant). He is of noble character and respected by all. He is not an agbero. He is an inspiring, exemplary role model to her; capable of teaching her and adding value to her life through his lifestyle.
- He praises her. He does not hold anything back when it comes to praising her and acknowledging her success. He appreciates her even for the “mundane” chores she does in the home. He generously dishes out the compliments when she has on a new hairstyle or dress. He recognizes her efforts and constantly cheers her on. This makes her succeed even more…
- He loves her. He loves her like he does his own body… He prefers her amongst all other women and he shows this in special ways… a look… a smile… a touch… He sees it this way: “she’s a part of me and the more she advances, the better it reflects on me.”
I smile as I type this post because I’ve got all of these in my husband, my very own Proverbs 31 man. Yup, I know… I am indeed blessed! 😀
I’d sure love to hear from you, as always. What other virtues do you think are found in a Proverbs 31 man? Do tell…